In the United States, a donor-advised fund (DAF) is a type of giving program, administered by a third-party public charity (such as Fidelity Charitable or Schwab Charitable – also referred to as “sponsor” below), that allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to easily support your favorite charities. DAFs are created for the purpose of managing charitable donations on behalf of an organization, family, or individual.
An increasingly popular charitable vehicle, DAFs are an excellent way to both simplify your charitable giving and facilitate your strategic philanthropic goals. DAFs allow donors to give cash, stock, and other assets—with the donor receiving an immediate tax deduction at the time of contribution is made, but the donor can grant specified amounts to the charities of their choice at a later time.
Note about “Designation” in form to the right: Following are the designated ODA funds available for you to enter into the form to the right. Entering a designated fund indicates where you want your funds spent. You may choose from: 1) Area of Greatest Need (preferred by ODA); 2) Southern California; 3) Hawai'i.. Please type your selection into the box labeled “Designation.” If left blank we will use the funds as needed.
How It Works
- Establish your DAF by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible donation to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program. Examples of these public charities are Fidelity Charitable and Schwab Charitable. There are others.
- Advise the investment allocation of the donated assets (any investment growth is tax-free).
- Recommend grants (i.e., donations) to qualified public charities of your choice.
Main Advantages of Donor-Advised Funds
Donor-advised funds provide a number of benefits that direct donations to a charity may not, including:
- Simplicity: The DAF sponsor handles all record-keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
- Flexibility: Timing of your tax deduction can be separate from the time you decide to allocate a grant to your preferred charity.
- Tax-efficiency: Contributions are tax-deductible and any investment growth in the DAF is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long-term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support multiple charities from one block of stock.
- Family legacy: A DAF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy.
- No start-up costs: There is no cost to establish a donor-advised fund. However, there are often minimum initial charitable contributions to establish the DAF (typically $5,000 or more, as decided by the sponsoring organization).**
- No transaction fees: Once approved, 100% of your recommended grant goes to your qualified public charity of choice.**
- Privacy if desired: Donors may choose to remain anonymous to the grant recipient.
** Sponsoring organizations generally assess an administrative fee on the assets in a DAF. These fees vary by sponsoring organization.
What Can Donor-Advised Funds Do for Ocean Defenders Alliance?
DAFs provide an easy, flexible, low-cost method of giving which supports our work to defend and clean the oceans. Your generous gift can help "fuel us up" to keep our crews at sea, doing what we do best--removing dangerous man-made debris making the ocean a cleaner and safer place for marine wildlife to thrive.
Please make a donation to Ocean Defenders Alliance via your Donor-Advised Fund today!